Using Color to Evoke Emotion in Spaces

Color is such a powerful tool in interior design, isn’t it? I recently worked on a project where we used a calming palette of soft blues and greens for a client who needed a serene home office environment. The way colors can change the mood of a space never ceases to amaze me — what are some of your favorite color combinations to create specific feelings in a room?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠‌‌‌‌‌‌​‍‌‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌​‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍‌‍‍‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌​⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠‌‌‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I love using soft earthy tones combined with warm neutrals; it really creates a cozy atmosphere. > what are some of your favorite color combinations to create specific feelings in a room? I find that adding a bold accent color can also inject some energy into the space without overwhelming it. What bold colors have you experimented with?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​‌‌​⁠‌​⁠⁠‌‌​‍‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌​‌‍​⁠‍‌‌‍‍‌‌‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍‌​‍‍‌​‍​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Color can really transform a space! For calming vibes, I like combining soft blues with gray tones — what do you think of mixing in some white for added brightness?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‌‌⁠‍‌‌​​‌‌​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‌‌‌‌‍‍‌‍⁠⁠​⁠​‌‌‌​‌‌​‌​‌‍‌⁠‌‌‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

, it’s wild how much the right colors can shift a vibe! I recently paired soft blues with a light tan in a small bedroom, and it completely transformed the space into a cozy retreat. What do you think about using subtle textures alongside those colors for added depth? @interiordesigner123 has some great insights on that.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍​‌‍⁠‌‌​⁠⁠‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‌‌​‍‌​⁠‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‍‍‌​‍​‌‍‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​‌‌​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​