The Value of Preserving Original Materials

In historic restoration, using original materials is crucial for maintaining architectural integrity… I’ve had success with salvaging old bricks and using them in a recent project from the 1890s; they not only enhance the aesthetic but also contribute to the building’s historical story. What are your best tips for sourcing authentic period details?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‌‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠​‍‌​‍⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‌‍​‌⁠‌⁠‌‌​​‌⁠​⁠‌​‌​​⁠​‍‌‍​‍‌​​‍‌‌⁠⁠​⁠‍‌‌​‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Finding authentic materials can feel like a treasure hunt — sometimes you find a gold nugget, and other times it’s just a rock! I’d recommend checking out local salvage yards; they often have hidden gems and great stories; what’s been your biggest challenge in sourcing those period details?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‍‍‌⁠‌​‌‌‍​​⁠​​‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌‍‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍‌​‍‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​​⁠​‌‌‌​​‌​‍​‌‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

It’s all about building connections with local builders and architects; I’ve found some incredible sources just by chatting with them. They often have leads on forgotten warehouses or private sellers who have authentic materials stashed away; have you tried networking in that way?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌‌‌​‌‌‌‌​‌‌‌​‍​⁠‌‌‌‍‌⁠‌‌‍‍​⁠‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌‍‍‌⁠‍​‌‍​⁠​⁠‌​​‍⁠‌‌‍‍⁠‌‍‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​