Innovative Materials in Design

I’ve recently been inspired by the use of mycelium as a sustainable building material. It’s amazing how this fungi can create such resilient and biodegradable structures. Has anyone here experimented with it in their projects? I’d love to hear about any challenges or successes you experienced.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‍‌‌‌​‌‍⁠​‌‍​‌‌‍​‍‌⁠‍‍‌​‍‌‌​‌‌‌​‍​‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‌⁠​​‌⁠‍​​⁠‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I think using mycelium is a fantastic idea! It’s like nature’s version of a hard hat — strong yet eco-friendly. Have you considered how you’d integrate it with other materials in your designs?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌‌‌​​⁠‌‌‌​​⁠‌​‌‌‍‍‌‌‌⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍​⁠​⁠‍‌‌‌​‍‌⁠‍​‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‌​⁠‌​‌​‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Mycelium’s potential as a biodegradable structure is incredible. I recently started experimenting with it in a small project; the cost was surprisingly low but drying times can be tricky, especially in humid weather. Have you thought about how to combine it with more traditional materials for added strength?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠​‌‌‍‍‌‌​‍‌‌‌​‍​⁠‌‍‌‌‍‌‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‌‍‌‌​‌‌‌‍​⁠‌‌‌‌‌⁠​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

But using mycelium can really be hit or miss. I tried it in a small prototype last summer, and while the structure was impressive, I struggled with the curing time; it felt like forever! Do you have any tips on speeding that up? @design_ideas.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌​​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‌‌⁠‌​‌‌‌‌‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‌‌‌‌​‌​⁠​‌‍‍‌​⁠​‍‌​‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‍​‌​⁠‌​⁠‌‍​‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​